Wednesday, May 23, 2012

DIY Art

I feel like I look at a ton of things on pinterest, pin a few things, and do almost none of them.  I actually did one here, and  I think this is the only other one I've actually tried and it turned out great! I love it!

Here's my inspiration. 

http://abeautifulmess.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/08/song-lyric-wall-art-diy-project.html

I love the subtle colors and knew I had to try it. 

I found a painting at an estate sale for $5!


Not terrible, just not exactly my style.  It's pretty big, so I knew it would be great for my bedroom and it's pitifully bare walls.

I bought some spray paint and some vinyl letters at Michaels (with a coupon of course) and set out for a fun (for me) saturday afternoon.

The worst part of this project was cutting the letters out.  It is time consuming, but I really didn't mind at all.  I like to do mind numbing projects every now and then.



It helped that I had this to occupy my mind too.


 Seriously, Cougar Town is hilarious and not at all what I thought it would be.  Give it a few episodes and you will love it. (my mom is rolling her eyes right about now.)

Once I had all the letters cut out I laid them out where I wanted them to be.

I used lyrics to C.S. Lewis Song by Brooke Fraser.  Check it out, yo.


There's my trusty sidekick, Thurs.  Always ready to help.

Then you just stick the stickers on and spray paint away.


And here's the finished product! Hanging in my bedroom which has changed so much since I moved (hello painting a room twice in 4 months, yuck.)  More about that later.


I'm loving it.  At first I wished that the colors of the painting had been a little brighter, but it grew on me and I love it now!

Can you tell I'm just ignoring the fact that I haven't posted in awhile.  

2 comments:

  1. This is such a cute idea! Love how yours turned out. I'm going to have to make one for myself pretty soon :)

    ReplyDelete