Thursday, January 19, 2012

Curtains Chapter 1

The project I'm most proud of is not really in a prime spot for maximum viewing.  For guests anyway- it's in the bathroom.  I try to make it a stop on the Tour of Kaylee's House, but sometimes I forget.  It's my shower curtain! As you know, I try to do things cheaply- Most of the time.  I tend to conveniently forget about all my online shopping- whoops! I looked for shower curtains at several stores and couldn't find just what I was looking for.  Probably because what I was looking for was $98 at Anthropologie.


Love the store, hate their prices.  Seriously, $98 for a shower curtain? That's ridiculous.  Also this curtain has an extra flap of fabric at the top to hide the shower rings.  A handy feature, but not for me when I already bought these babies!



I love them.  I love that they add a pop of color and of course I love the owls.  I think they're subtle enough to not be overboard.  So Cute!

So even if I had piles and piles of money to spend, if I bought the fancy Anthro shower curtain, I would be hiding my little cuties!  I read a couple of blogs pretty consistently,  one of them being Bower Power.  If you've never read it, you should.  I just think she is hilarious- and great at decorating on a budget! This is where I got the idea to make my own shower curtain.  I never knew you could just use any kind of fabric.  I always thought it had to be "shower curtain fabric"  Crazy and so simple.  This post gives a much better tutorial than I could give and I followed her instructions for the background of my curtain.

I went to Walmart and Target looking for flat sheets, but apparently here in Texas they only sell sheets as a set, and not a very cheap set.  Bummer.  On my week of vacation I devoted a whole day to thrift store shopping.  I had several things I needed-mirrors, lamps, any kind of odds and ends.  My first stop of the day I walked right past all the sheets straight to the lamps.  Unfortunatly all the lamps were from 1992, not exactly what I was looking for.  On my way back out to my car I took my time making sure I didn't miss anything.  Sheets! there were so many.  I don't know if it's gross to some people using used sheets-actually typing it out somehow makes it grosser (more gross?) - but I figure with several washes, they were good as new! I found  grey and a coral color both for $5.  Perfect.

I cut long strips of the coral and ruffled them.  I don't know a good way to tell you to do this. I'm sure there's a better way than the route I took.  It wasn't hard work, just very time consuming.

Of course I had a little help, as usual.


And a little help from the tv show Parenthood.



Then I just pinned my ruffles to the grey fabric and sewed them right on!




You can't look too closely, as with most of my projects, but I might be the only one who can see all the misakes.  I still think it's wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment