Saturday, January 28, 2012

Curtain Call Chapter 2

My shower curtain was my first attempt at window coverings.  My living room has 2 huge windows and I love them.  They make the house so much brighter, especially my navy paint!  While I love the windows, I was not loving the price of curtain rods for windows over 11 ft long.  Yikes.  While I was researching prices for curtain rods and curtains, I came across a tutorial on a blog showing how to make curtains out of drop cloths.



Better yet, these drop cloths are about $10 a pop.  That is crazy cheap for curtains.  Or fabric for that matter.  The tutorial I saw used drop cloths with a stripe of a fitted sheet at the top.  I really liked the way this looked, but my windows were a tad too long for my drop cloths so I decided to add some inches with my stripe of color on the sides.  I found some cute upholstery fabric at Joanns, slapped a coupon down, and got to sewing.


Now that I had the curtains, I needed a way to hang them.  Have you ever priced curtain rods? In a perfect world, things would actually cost what I think they should.  I do not think cheapest (for the size I need) curtain rods should be $50.  Times two.  I realize that might actually be a fair price, but not in my perfect world.  Luckily, the internet came to the rescue yet again.  Turns out, you can make curtain rods out of whatever you want to.  Well, not really, but you can make them out of conduit.  For about $2, you can get 10ft lengths and then connect them together with a conduit fitting for another $2.  I found some brackets at a resale shop, some spray paint, and hung them right up.  Well, actually my dad and my brother hung them right up.  And I am thankful.  I bought some curtain rings and since I didn't feel like sewing anymore, folded over the top to "hem" and hung them right up! I really like the way it turned out. 
                                    

You observant ones might notice a certain dvd hanging out on my little dvd stand, because it has been in my dvd player, iPod and car ever for about a month.

 

Les Miserables!
My aunt treated me to go see it at the Winspear Opera House in December.  Those are my beautiful cousins, my mom and my aunt.  What a fun night.  If you ever get a chance to see this musical, do not pass it up.  I promise it will change your life. 





Anyway, back to the curtains, I think they look great in the room.  They might need one more drop cloth each to make it a little fuller.  When you close them, they just barely meet.  I definitely like them better when they are open and a little bunched.


This is pretty much the view from the front door.  The living room is bigger than you expect, and I'm really enjoying it!  Don't mind my Christmas wrapping paper on the walls.  I've been to lazy to switch it out since Christmas.  Whoops.



This is the other side of the room.  I'm still working on how to get the best pictures.  Please excuse the random dining room chairs in the hallway.


Looks much better than the before picture, right? 



Also, here's the obligatory Thursday shot.  Boy does she know how to work the camera.







1 comment:

  1. So...just found your blog. And I need to come see your house again when I come back to town! It looks so different from the first time (before you even stayed there)! I'll be in Denton for Paris' graduation May 12. :)

    ReplyDelete