Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Heart Songs

Well, I knew it had been awhile since my last post but it has REALLY been awhile.  Whoops.  There are many excuses, but the biggest one is my camera broke.  It was very inconvenient.  Fortunately I was uncharacteristically smart enough to buy the warranty and just made it in time. (usually I don't want to spend the extra money) Definitely worth it, because Best Buy gave me a brand new camera!

So now, with new camera in hand, I can finally write about my latest changes.  I've made some spontaneous ones that you'll hear about soon enough, but I wanted to show you my new artwork in the living room.  Well, I actually did it in January so it's old to me, but new to you!

Remember my old garage door? I've used it in my apartment in Nacogdoches with pictures of friends, and then put it up when I moved in with Christmas wrapping paper behind. (blogspot isn't recognizing Nacogdoches as a word and putting the little squiggles under it.  At first I thought I had been away for so long I forgot how to spell it.  I really need to make a trip back.)



The second picture is from the Christmas party I had with some friends from work.   I set up a hot chocolate bar with lots of mix-ins and toppings.  Y-U-M.

As much as I tried to ignore it I couldn't leave the Christmas wrapping paper year-round so I tried to come up with something a little different.

Music has always been a big part of my life whether it be piano lessons, drum line, or just singing in my grandmother's living room.  Weezer has a song called Heart Songs about the songs that shape your life. There were a few songs that I just couldn't get the lyrics out of my brain lately, so I might as well have them front and center. 


I know you can't see it very well, I'll give you a close-up of each section.  It's hard to take a picture of because the huge window directly across from it casts a crazy glare.  I may have a fancy camera but that does not mean I know how to use it well.   

So, I'll give you the tour from left to right.  If you're looking for some new music, click on the links to hear the songs.  I hope you love them as much as I do. Which is a lot.


First we have "And oh, how He loves us, oh" by David Crowder Band.  Sometimes the simplest truths are the are the ones I can't wrap my head around.



Farther along I chose for two reasons.  Whenever I hear this song, it always makes me think of my Grandmother, my mom's mom.  I'm not sure if she sang it often, but I have very clear memories of her singing this old hymn.  A few months ago, I discovered Josh Garrels singing his own version and I fell in love with it as well.  I'm sad that the orange doesn't show up as well.  I may have to redo this one.


"Create in me a clean heart, O God" is from a Jon Foreman song that is ripped directly from Psalm 51.  I love when scripture is set to music because without even knowing it, you have it memorized.


"Bless the Lord, O my soul" is a new song we have been singing at church for a couple of months.  I finally bought the whole album and it was well worth the money.  It's been playing in my car almost ever since.  My worship leader talked one Sunday about how even when we sometimes don't feel like worshiping, our Soul still does.  It was made to worship the Lord.  I can't say it as well as he did, but it really struck a chord with me and made the song stand out.

I'm loving the burlappy roughness against the fabric flowers.  And I love that when I see it the songs are stuck in my head yet again.  Hopefully I'll be blogging a little more than once every 3 months.  Let's hope anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment