Friday, August 23, 2013

27

Twice in one month. On a roll!

My friend Katie blogged about the quarter life crisis this week and pretty much summed up my life. Even if my quarter life crisis is 2 years late (or two years running strong?) :) I'm so thankful for sweet friends who speak truth as we walk through life together. You should give it a read, and also the article she talks about from Relevant. I especially loved this part

"One day you’re jogging along with as upbeat music confirms with every step that you can take on the world. The next day, you’re sprawled out on the couch wishing you could live in a ‘90s sitcom, Death Cab for Cutie in the background confirming with every melody that you can’t even take on your laundry, let alone the world."

I've been at the same job for 3.5 years now, with nothing really changing the whole time. I mean, my life changed- I bought a house, made some great friends, gained a sister-in-law, but at work- same chair, same customers, same parking lot view.

I found out this week things will change a little. New coworkers, new chair, new customers, new parking lot view. Why when things actually change do I suddenly want everything to stay the same? I'm excited about this change, but still hesitant. Fear is a beast. An ugly one. One I struggle with almost daily. But like Katie, I'm trying to gage whether or not I let things pass me by because I don't want to or because of fear. I feel like I'm becoming more aware of this lately, and trying to be more brave.

I've also tried to be more mindful of my attitude. I'm quick to complain, which helps no one. I saw this poster on pinterest (of course) and it's definitely on my short list of things I need for my house.

It's so true. We all have a choice as to how we will react to whatever life brings us. For now I'm choosing not only happiness, but JOY. I've had a little paper with a handwritten 1 Peter 1:8 propped up on the cutest little bird at work.



"Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious JOY."

I feel like maybe this is coming off that I'm unhappy, I'm not! Just too often I forget why I'm here- to glorify the Lord. When I feel like I'm stagnant, I'm not joyful. When I'm fearful, I'm certainly not joyful. When I wake up at 4:15 to go work out, I am not joyful. But that's a choice. I could be joyful- probably not ever before 6 am - but I can try?

So maybe 27 is the year for big change, bravery, and joy. Here's hoping, right twenty somethings?

No comments:

Post a Comment